Wednesday, February 11, 2015

A Heart and a Jar Filled with Gratitude

On the first day of this year, a friend on Facebook invited us to keep a Gratitude Jar for the rest of the year. The idea is to think daily about one thing you're grateful for, write it on a piece of paper, and toss it in a jar of your choice which will be aptly named as, yes, "Gratitude Jar".

My Gratitude Jar

I took on the challenge and found right away an empty, transparent, green bottle with a long neck. Perfect. I jotted down each day on a small strip of pink paper one thing that's worth thanking God for. For the past month, my heart has been spilling with gratitude for many things. Each day, I find reason, actually more than one reason, to be happy and thankful. 

My pen scribbled with joy when within the same month, I signed two contracts for a project. Remembering the law of sowing and reaping, I was thrilled when an opportunity was presented to me to donate to a worthy cause. It was just a few hundred pesos which I've been saving for a personal need, but the joy I received in return was priceless. That incident was recorded and kept in the jar. 

But there were also things that I wish didn't happen, still I found reason to be grateful. My son was hospitalized, but we were relieved that he recovered quickly. I had a flu soon after, but I was in bed for just a day. A software I was using was corrupted, but I didn't get cranky this time and stayed calm while downloading a replacement. Cool! 

Because God is in control and He is a reliable help in time of need, I can be thankful in any situation--good or bad, happy or sad. I may be bubbling over with excitement one day, or feeling blah the next time. Yet, when I remember that God loves me dearly and He has a purpose for everything, I train myself to pause, take up the pen, express my thanks, and toss it in my Gratitude Jar. 

At the end of the year, I will unroll each pieces of paper and read them one by one. I will relive God's goodness, thank Him once again, and praise Him for all that He has done. 

"Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus."      
1 Thessalonians 5:18

Here's another story about a Gratitude Jar. 

If you're inspired to make your own Gratitude Jar, share it with us. Let your heart and jar be filled with gratitude to God!

No comments: